Alaska Startup Capital Resources
Alaska has various early-stage startup capital resources, including an active group of angel investors. This page does not address the variety of bank loan and traditional debt funding opportunities. The Alaska Small Business Development Center linked below is a good place to start, as well as joining the 1 Million Cups meeting each week at 10AM where you can share your business ideas and connect with various startup resource providers and collaborators.
2024 – Please help us update our understanding of the early-stage startup capital by completing one or both of the following surveys. In March, reports from both surveys will be available to the public.
NEW – Alaska Angel Investor Survey (4th) (For angel investors, individuals making personal investments in early-stage startups. You do not need to be an SEC-accredited angel investor to complete this survey if you have been involved with the Alaska Angel Conference, which is open to nonaccredited investors under the Alaska Crowd Funding rules, or have made personal investments in traditional “friends and family” rounds.
New – Alaska Capital Founder Survey (1st time) (If you have started up a company in Alaska in the last 10 years, we invite you to share your experience and plans in 2024.)
- 2019 Investor Survey – Not Published due to a small number of responses)
- 2018 AK Seed Investor Survey
- 2017 AK Seed Investor Survey
Alaska Investor Network (An Alaska-based angel group that meets monthly from September to May.)
Alaska Angel Conference (An annual winter/spring cohort program for angels and founders that invests about $100K in a startup, with additional side investment opportunities.
49th State Angel Fund (An Anchorage-based SSBCI program matching private capital, generally focused on Anchorage or Anchorage-related early-stage companies.)
Other Grants and non-dilutive startup capital
- Alaska SBIR/STTR Grant Program – A source of match if you have received an SBIR/STTR grant.
- Anchorage Community Land Trust Set Up Shop Program
- Arctic Innovation Competition (Idea contest with some large prices) 3/1/24 Deadline to apply
- JEDC Innovation Summit – Pitch Event 2/28/24
- Spruce Root Path to Prosperity (SE Alaska startup businesses)
- North Slope Market Place (North Slope Business)
- Pitch Pipeline ( 2024 TBA ) (Contact Liam at the Alaska Investor Network
Contact Ky at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance, introductions, and to add/update information on this page.